Public relations is one of those “mysterious” industries fraught with lingo that only PR pros and agencies understand. As a solo professional in this industry, I sometimes get confused (and intimidated) by the “pros” and “experts” who make PR seem unreachable and intangible.
Let me quickly banish some of the myths about PR. Though this may seem too simplistic a task to some of the “pros and experts”, sometimes, getting back to the basics is just the thing to spur you on to getting to the next level of your business.
1. PR is all about the spin
2. PR is for companies with big budgets
3. PR is only for those that want glitz and glam
1. PR is about finding the newsworthy angle about you and your company and highlighting that.
2. Yes, PR can be expensive, compared to other forms of marketing, PR is one of the cheapest ways to get the (lasting) word out about you.
3. PR is not just about getting on the cover of a magazine, an interview on CNN or a big publicity tour.
Why every business or entrepreneurs NEEDS PR (even the small ones and start-ups):
- PR is about communication. It is the way to relate to the public, your customers, and your clients.
- PR helps build your brand and makes you visible.
- PR helps to bring and increase the traffic to your website.
- PR announces the new and exciting things you and your business are doing.
- PR builds your rep with journalists, reporters and bloggers.
Don’t let industry jargon deter your PR efforts or make you think your business is “too small-fry” for PR.
PR is all about telling your story that resonates in the heart and mind of those who encounter you.
Want help with your sharing your awesome story? Contact me to get your story heard!
Photo is Poseidon, Greek god via polyvore.com